Cunningham Recreation: Design • Build • Play!Partners with the Leaders of Play
Not sure where to start?

Check out our guide posts below to learn more about the Locker Room and how you can get the most out of it.

icon Fundamentals Button Forum Fundamentals icon Rules and Regulations Button Rules and Regulations
See what people are talking about...

2021 Conference Topics - Sports Branch

Brandon_StortzBrandon_Stortz Junior Varsity

Thank you to those who were able to attend the KRPA Sports Branch Round Table this year in Topeka! We had a wonderful conversation and I am very excited to see what 2020 has in store for us!

I wanted to follow up with what we discussed for 2021 KRPA Conference Topics! Below is the list I have written down as topics you would like to see next year:

1. NAYS Certification How To
  2. Differences between Competitive and Recreational Sports
  3. How to Increase Participation in Recreational Sports: Successful Strategies
  4. Trends in Sports - National, Regional, State, and Local trends
  5. USTA
  6. Senior Sports Programming
  7. Officials - KRPA Officials Initiative
  8. TeamSideline or other sports software
  9. LGBTQ Considerations in Youth/Adult Sports
  10. New Hire Expectations for Sports Programmers (for current students or new employees).
  11. Kansas Department of Labor - Contract or Seasonal/Part Time Employment Considerations

Don't see something on this list, or didn't make it to the round table? Feel free to comment below with your topic idea!

The Sports Branch Board greatly appreciates your help as we look to make our next conference the best one yet!

BRANDON STORTZ, AFO, CYSA

Recreation Manager, Sports Branch Chair

OTTAWA RECREATION COMMISSION

Goppert Building | 705 W. 15th St. | Ottawa, KS 66067

O: 785.242.1939 | F: 785.242.6634 | W: orcottawaks.org

Comments

• I would definitely be interested in hearing about the pros/cons of competitive vs recreational sports at next year's conference.

If we do another workshop, maybe a good one would be to sort of center it around #7. I think it would be beneficial to learn how to train rec officials for various sports. I'm from a smaller community and more often than not, it's me training them unless I can get an experienced official from the area to put something on.

Tanner Ford

Wellington Recreation Commission

Sports Branch Board Member

[email protected]

620-326-3323

• Reference to #8: I know quite a few people at conference said they are using Team Sideline. We use All Pro League Scheduler at BVRC. It would be beneficial to see the similarities and differences between sports software being used in the recreation profession.

Trenton Buchman

Blue Valley Recreation Commission

Recreation Coordinator

913.685.6030 – Phone

• E-sports - is anyone trying it?

Jeremy Reimer, CPRP

Recreation Supervisor

City of Lenexa | Parks and Recreation

17201 W. 87th St. Pkwy., Lenexa, KS 66219

(913) 477-7136 | (620) 655-2214 (cell)

[email protected]www.lenexa.com

• In response to Jeremy's topic of E-Sports, I know Maize Recreation Commission does e-sports programming. If you go with that topic you might want to reach out to them.

Jamie Reed

Kansas Recreation & Park Association